Friday, August 7, 2009

Support Group


I'm starting a support group for VIP's here in my county. What are VIP's you wonder.?...well, very important persons, of course! Well, those very important persons are actually visually impaired persons. I was in a local mom's group last year, & really thought that I'd help coordinate it this year. Long story short & to prevent giving anyone a bad name, it was made clear that that just wasn't the road I was to take. I was really upset! One of the reasons given by someone else was my lack of transportation.....that made me so sad! I hate to ask people to drive me around, but when I need to go somewhere, I have to ask. So, after a month of the 'poor me, pity party, blues', the Lord reminded me that I'm not alone in this world. There are others who deal with exactly what I do! I also thought about the fact that some of them may not know Jesus..... So, upon my mom's suggestion, I decided to start a support group!

I first contacted the social worker for the blind here in my county. She was so easy to talk to, & very helpful! She sent a letter out to all the VIP's telling them about me & my cause. I got several calls right away. So far, I have 8 people interested in joining me in this endeavor. I now have a co-leader & another lady who's been calling around to our local community college & our local libraries trying to find a place for us to meet. We must really be very important persons to our social worker, she's helping me in any way she can! She called the county transportation to try to get us transported....I really think they're going to help us! If they don't, there will be no way for us to meet..... Pray my friends, please pray!

If this takes off like I think it will, this could be a huge ministry. I don't know if y'all know this, but we visually impaired people are lonely & really like to chat! So, my need to talk on the phone, help others, & feel normal will be met....But, on top of that, I'll be sharing the gospel with lots of other lonely people!! I hate that I had to get hurt to come to the realization that I needed to start this, but.....God knew what He was doing, I have to trust that!

1 comment:

Buffie Cullens said...

WOW! What a great way to make the most of your circumstances, by the Holy Spirit's leading of course. Praying that God will use you mightily in this new support group.To Him be the glory!